Fort Worth Officer Matthew Brazeal Who Was Struck And Dragged Is Out Of ICU – CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) Parishioners joined law enforcement families Monday to raise more than $ 6,000 for a Fort Worth police officer who survived being run over by a fugitive suspect in Fort Worth.

Matthew Brazeal had another operation on Monday while the fundraiser was taking place.

However, his young brother said his sibling recently started eating solid foods and moved from intensive care to a normal hospital bed after the incident in early June.

Matthew Brazeal, Fort Worth Police Officer (Image credit: FWPOA)

“He’s mentally tough,” said Jared Brazeal. “He went to Iraq. He’s been through a lot. He’ll be fine. He stays tough. “

Brazeal used stopping sticks to stop Ronnie Jackson Jr.’s car ride on June 13. Police said the car was stolen and Jackson turned towards Brazeal, hit him at high speed and pulled him under the vehicle.

Some of his immediate family members have still not been able to see him in the hospital due to visitor restrictions related to Covid-19. However, Jared said his father could come in on Father’s Day and talk to his brother on the phone.

“He was happy, you know, to have made it out of what he went through alive.”

Law enforcement families made up a large part of the early crowd at Cafe Republic on N. Beach St., Fort Worth. However, news of the fundraiser spread widely on the community’s Facebook pages and attracted local residents.

Angie Treu and her daughter Madison took out breakfast to support Brazeal.

“This is a community and I have a feeling our officials are part of our community too,” she said. “I mean we’re all Americans and we should all stand up for one another.”

At a time when policing is under scrutiny, Jared Brazeal said it was encouraging to see the support.

“Regardless of what you see sometimes, and how you feel, I think people will always come together and show their support for things that are really important,” he said.

The restaurant donated 25% of all sales to the family on Monday. A silent auction also added to the total.

They also still raised money selling t-shirts online.

Comments are closed.