Texas man charged after battered infant flown to Fort Worth hospital

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) – A Lubbock man was charged with grievous bodily harm with a fatal weapon after his 7-week-old child was diagnosed with multiple injuries in September 2020.

The indictment lists five charges that the 27-year-old Santiago Espinal-Orduna caused the child’s multiple injuries.

According to the police report, Lubbock Police received a call on September 14, 2020 from a detective from the Fort Worth Police Department.

The detective said he was called to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth about an injured child.

The child had multiple injuries, including a broken humerus and multiple fractures, consistent with what he believed to be child abuse.

The detective believes the child was mistreated in Lubbock and possibly other cities.

The report says the child was flown from Knox County Hospital to Cook because of his injuries.

Espinal-Orduna told police that they live in Lubbock and visited his parents at their Knox City home.

The police report said that an X-ray of the child from the hospital showed that most of the child’s ribs were broken and in various stages of healing. There was a broken finger, broken big toe, broken right collarbone, and possibly broken left collarbone and possible rib fracture, broken humerus, and bleeding from the blood vessels in both eyes, indicating strangulation.

Some of the injuries were in various stages of healing, others were new.

After further investigation, Espinal-Orduna signed a written statement admitting the abuse.

In the statement included in the police report, Espinal-Orduna said he stepped on the child’s foot while lying on the ground; One day after he left work, he fed and burped the child, but he kept crying, so he gave him four to five presses repeatedly on the ribs and that his wife worked during the two weeks. He was frustrated or insane and choked the child five or six times.

He said he bathed the child at home, and while he was getting the child’s shampoo and sponge, the child fell off his bath chair and fell face first on “pretty hard”.

He said he also picked up the child by one arm and carried it like a soccer ball.

He said his daughter pulled and jerked the child’s arm and the next day the child would not move his right arm.

Then they took him to Knox County Hospital for a test and an X-ray.

Espinal-Orduna has been held in Lubbock County Detention Center since February 8 on bail of $ 200,000.

Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.